Voices – We hear voices inside our heads day in and day out. Some speak success and champion us forward, others speak of doom and gloom.
Our overall success is determined by which of these voices control our actions and purpose.
Inner critics are voices in our head that stir up feelings that make us feel bad, stupid, imperfect, guilty or unworthy.
Inner champions are the voices in our head that stir up feelings that makes us feel and believe that we can take on the world.
Acknowledging these pesky critics is the first step to controlling them.
Here is a list of 7 inner critics
THE PERFECTIONIST – Your Critic
- This critic goes to great lengths to get you to do things perfectly, and when you don’t it beats you up.
THE PERFECTIONIST – Your Champion
- Take some deep breaths and know when enough is enough! Your inner champion is telling you to cut yourself some slack, not everything will be perfect every time.
THE INNER CONTROLLER – Your Critic
- The inner controller has very fixed and precise standards for how you and everyone else should live. When you fail to measure up to these standards the controller attacks and shames you.
THE INNER CONTROLLER – Your Champion
- You are lovable, you do not need to be controlled nor do you need to control others. Learn to trust you and your judgement in trusting others, let go of the notion that there is only one way and you have to do everything.
THE DESTROYER – Your Critic
- The Destroyer makes hard-hitting attacks on your fundamental self-confidence and self-worth. It tells you how stupid you are, how you will never amount to anything.
- It reinforces its claims by keep reminding you of everything you have done wrong in the past.
THE DESTROYER – Your Champion
- Recognize that this inner critic is hurting you not helping you. The past has gone forever it’s not a stick to beat you up. You deserve to be loved just for who you are, and you can do anything you like, work on believing that from the heart.
THE TASKMASTER – Your Critic
- The taskmaster keeps you on your toes and wants you to work hard and be successful. Strong opinions about mediocrity and laziness and keeps pushing you to keep going (often unreasonably).
- It pushes you too hard and expects too much from you, not allowing you to be relaxed and be easy going.
- This inner critic will drive you into the ground.
THE TASKMASTER – Your Champion
- Self-love is critical to realise when enough is enough and to stop when you need to. Being kind to you is imperative along with realising that a to do List will never end.
THE GUILT TRIPPER – Your Critic
- The Guilt Tripper is the Inner Critic part that makes you feel bad about certain things you have done. It holds on to the past and reminds you of hurtful actions you have taken or even accidents that you have been responsible for.
- It punishes you unmercifully for what it sees as your wrongdoing, making you believe you are a bad person.
- It won’t allow you to forget what you’ve done or let you forgive yourself for it.
THE GUILT TRIPPER – Your Champion
- Hating yourself for the past will NOT help you to be a better person in the present.
- The past is in the past, you can feel good about who you are today.
- Take care of what you can and let go of what cannot be changed.
THE MOLDER – Your Critic
- The Molder Inner Critic tries to fit you into a certain mold or get you to be a certain way.
- It compares you to other people whom it admires.
- It holds you up to expectations that originated with your parents, community, heritage, or culture, that have been internalized and integrated as our own values.
- It attacks you when you don’t fit the mold and praises you when you do.
THE MOLDER – Your Champion
- Find some space to figure out who you are. You are a unique person who can discover your own values and desires, that you can develop a lifestyle around.
- When you live according to your own uniqueness, you will feel more at peace.
- When you break out of your mold, your creativity is unleashed.
- Take some time before making a decision to think through what is really right for you.
- Find people who will support you in being yourself and share in your values and dreams.
THE UNDERMINER – Your Critic
- The underminer Inner Critic tries to destroy your self-confidence and self-esteem.
- It wants to make sure you don’t take risks, or try new activities where you might fail.
- It tells you that you can’t be successful and throws doubts on anything new you might want to try.
THE UNDERMINER – Your Champion
- You have what it takes to make your way in the world.
- You can tackle whatever you set your mind too.
- You deserve to have support that holds you through taking chances and stretching yourself.
- There is help and support available to guide you in finding your way. You can trust your instincts.
- If you give yourself time, you can determine what risks are worth taking
Take outstanding care of your spirit
Taking care of your spirit means that you have strong faith in life. There are many ways of taking care of your spirit and all of them are okay, if they help you become the best version of yourself here are a few ways of how you can take care of your spirit:
- Having extraordinary faith in yourself
If you aren’t a religious or spiritual person, taking care of your spirit can come from extraordinary belief in yourself or the universe.
If you want to do extraordinary things in life, if you want to become the best version of yourself, you must have extraordinary faith in yourself and life.
There are a few signs that confirm you have extraordinary faith in yourself:
- Putting yourself first (but not in an egocentric way)
- Developing high levels of self-confidence and self-worth
- Having healthy rituals in your life
- Rewarding yourself even for the small wins
- Forgiving yourself for the mistakes you have made
- Regularly celebrating life and being grateful for every day
- Having integrity and making sure we are a good person
- Building your success based on prestige, not dominance
Take outstanding care of your emotions
Taking care of your mind will have a very positive influence on your emotions. By focusing on the positive, your emotions will also become much more positive. What you think about you will feel, what you focus on you will accomplish.
WHY plays a very important role here you need a strong why a strong emotional reason or life mission, write down in a journal WHY you want to become the best version of yourself? Always have a huge WHY in your life the bigger the WHY the more focus you will have to be the person you want to be. For every part o f the person you would like to be write down the reason E.g I would like to be slimmer, WHY I will feel sexier, I can wear the clothes I would like to wear etc. Review those reasons on a regular basis.
Only if you have a strong emotional WHY, a strong sense of personal mission, can you enjoy the benefits of a great mind.
If you want to achieve the best version of yourself, follow your heart and listen to your gut instinct. Gather the courage to start doing things you were born to do (work, love, creating, hobbies etc.).
Visual elements can motivate you extensively. So visualise, have a vision board, go for a “test drive” of what you want out of life. That will help you achieve your peak performance.
It also helps a lot to be emotionally motivated if you make peace with your past and learn to live in the present moment.
Take outstanding care of your BRAIN
The next thing you must take good care of is your Brain. We live in the age of the internet, social media, smart phones bombarding you with information 24/7 so becareful as to the quality of information that you take in. Switch off your phone an hour before you go to bed, when you are out to dinner with your significant other or friends leave your mobiles in the car and be 100% present.
To become the best version of yourself, there are a few aspects to taking proper care of your brain.
Make sure that you control your thoughts rather than letting your thoughts control you. You cannot control what thoughts come into your mind, but you can control what thoughts you acknowledge and give attention too.
If you don’t take control of your mind, your mind will instead focus on negative thinking, cognitive distortions and negative entertainment.
The best way to take control of your thoughts is to practice meditation, focus on gratitude for what you already have in life, develop the abundance mindset. When a negative thoughts enters your mind thank your brain and ask them to move on and re frame the thought.
It’s good to evaluate things on a regular basis and see if any bad habits have crept in without you noticing. You might not be taking care of yourself as much as you should do, or not exercising as much as you could, always keep evaluating.
Always try new things in life, this does not have to be bungee jumping, it could be trying a new recipe, reading a new book from a different author. Or going to a new place you have never been before, a different café, restaurant, a theatre or the cinema.
Be a lifelong learner constantly develop our competences, read and read a lot, go to lectures and seminars, take online courses, respect knowledge and make sure that you acquire a lot of it. Complete crosswords, brain teasers and sudoku anything to keep you thinking and your brain young.
Don’t spend time on mindless entertainment like watching TV, reading the daily news, social media, spend time on upbuilding positive reading all the information we take in good or bad has an impact on your mind.
The will to win, the desire to succeed, the urge to reach your full potential… these are the keys that will unlock the door to personal excellence…….. Confucius
Self-improvement is a multimillion-pound industry with many books, tools, and gadgets available to people looking to improve mental and physical health and wellness. However many powerful tools to improve one’s life are already available at no cost, as they exist within yourself.
If you don’t look after your body, you will have nowhere to live.” -Jason Vale
That is a powerful statement.
If you’re working out and taking care of your body, you don’t really want the greasy food that makes you feel tired or blah. You actually crave the good stuff! …..Jenna Ushkowitz
Your body is the most amazing thing you will ever own, so the first thing to do to achieve your maximum potential and peak performance is to take outstanding care of your body.
One area to reach your maximum potential is exercising, this doesn’t mean spending hours in the gym, just building a 30 min walk into your routine, leave your mobile phone at home and mindfully take that walk. Getting off at a bus stop before the one you normally get off, borrow a dog that needs walking, 20 mins yoga a day, or gardening.
Healthy diet (minimising your sugar intake, maximizing green food intake, eating healthy fats etc.) We all know what a healthy diet looks like, if it has a label on it with words that only someone with a master’s in chemistry would understand then it’s not going to be good for you.
Following general health principles like getting enough sleep, avoiding or dealing with stress, loving your body know matter what is thrown your way.
Self-care is of the up most importance, and if you feel guilty about this then DON’T it is imperative, you do this.
LISTEN to your body it’s trying to tell you something, your body is an incredible machine and it talks to you but we don’t often listen. Our body lets you know when you are hungry or full, it lets you know what kind of foods you want to eat. Your body lets you know when you are tiried and need rest we just need to listen.